The state Department of Consumer Protection will begin accepting applications for some types of adult cannabis production licenses.
Cannabis was approved for adult use in Connecticut in June 2021 and retail sales are expected to begin in the state by the end of the year.
The Department of Consumer Protection will hold several lotteries on an ongoing basis and will announce the number of licenses available before each submission round.
They said that the application rounds for the eight types of licenses that will be selected through the lottery process will open on an intermittent basis.
The application period for the first round of the lottery will remain open for 90 days.
Applications for social justice grower licenses located in disproportionately affected areas will have a 90-day submission period starting on February 3 and ending on May 4.
Officials said they will run two lotteries for each license type: the Social Justice Sweepstakes and the Public Sweepstakes.
Applicants selected for the Social Justice Lottery are subject to review by the Social Justice Board to confirm their social justice status.
To qualify as a social justice applicant, at least 65 percent of the company’s ownership or control must be owned or controlled by individuals who meet the income and residency requirements for a social justice applicant set forth in law.
Once applicants for Social Justice are selected through the lottery process and approved by the Board, the DCP will conduct a public lottery. All approved Social Justice applicants and those selected in the public lottery will be eligible to apply for a provisional license. More information about the lottery process is available at ct.gov/cannabis.
The department expects to open a second lottery submission period for most types of licenses in the second half of 2022.
The first 90-day application period for each license type will open on the following dates:
Planting tool in the disproportionately affected area: February 3, 2022 (no lottery)
- Retail: Feb 3, 2022
- Little Farmer: February 10, 2022
- Delivery service: February 17, 2022
- Mixed Retailer: Feb 24, 2022
- Food and Drinks: March 3, 2022
- Product Manufacturer: March 10, 2022
- Product Packager: March 17, 2022
- Carrier: March 24, 2022
Number of licenses
An equal number of licenses will be available for social justice and general applicants.
- Retailer: 6 generic licenses and 6 social ownership licenses
- Micro farms: 2 general licenses, 2 social ownership licenses
- Delivery service: 5 public licenses, 5 social property licenses
- Mixed retailer: 2 generic licenses, 2 social ownership licenses
- Food and Beverage: 5 general licenses, 5 social ownership licenses
- Product Packager: 3 General Licenses, 3 Social Equity Licenses
- Product manufacturer: 3 public licenses, 3 social ownership licenses
- Transport company: 2 general licenses and 2 social ownership licenses
Applicants to cannabis establishments licensed under the following provisions are not subject to the lottery process:
- Licensed medical marijuana producers are now turning to the adult cannabis market
- Currently licensed medical marijuana dispensary converts to hybrid retailer license to allow the sale of cannabis for medicinal and adult uses
- Applications of social justice farmers located in a disproportionately affected area that meet the requirements outlined in Section 149 Public Law 21-1 of the June 2021 Special Session
- Applicants applying for a cannabis establishment license as a joint stock venture or social equity partner with a licensed medical marijuana producer or dispensary
- Social Justice Council Small Farmer Assistance Program (to be established by the Social Justice Council)
Interested applicants can view a description of each license type to determine what is appropriate for their business.