This is the complete beginner’s guide to making CBD capsules at home. The post includes a recipe for DIY CBD capsules, lists of tools and ingredients, as well as storage tips, and a list of the pros and cons of this method of consumption.
CBD capsules can be pricey – but not if you make them at home.
Not only are DIY CBD capsules cheaper than their store-bought counterparts, but you have tight control over their potency, purity, and formula.
Best of all, making DIY CBD softgels requires only two ingredients—and many basic kitchen gadgets that most of us have at home.
Now that we’ve got your attention, let’s explore our step-by-step guide to the process of turning CBD oil into capsules.
How to make CBD oil capsules at home (Summary)
- CBD capsules are one of the friendliest forms of administration. It’s easy to take, has a steady dose of CBD per serving, and you can carry it around without worrying about leaks.
- Making DIY CBD capsules is easy. All you need is some CBD oil, a softgel cap, and several basic kitchen utensils.
- Unlike commercial softgels, you have complete control over what you put inside your pills.
- If you already have CBD oil and a carrier, you can stretch your bucks even more.
- Once you make CBD capsules at home, keep them in a dark glass container away from light, heat, and air. Medicine cabinet or desk drawer are great for storage.
- Keep in mind that CBD capsules need more time to run than oils because they are processed in the digestive system. You should be able to notice the effects within 30-90 minutes.
- The effects of CBD capsules last longer than other oils and forms because CBD is gradually released from the liver into the bloodstream.
Reasons to make your own CBD oil capsules
CBD capsules are low-profile, travel-friendly, and mess-free options to deliver your daily dose. And when it’s made with premium CBD oil, it can be more effective than what you’ll find in most local stores.
Here are some reasons to consider making DIY CBD capsules.
- You know what you put inside. Perhaps you are allergic to some ingredients or you cannot find CBD vegetarian capsules. Or maybe you just want complete control over the components. That’s understandable – we’re also DIY fans.
- You can customize the event. Each CBD capsule comes with a pre-set dose. If you are using unusual doses, you can measure the effectiveness of CBD on your own.
- Your options reach beyond the CBD. Would you like to add CBG or Delta 8 THC oil to your homemade CBD capsules? Nothing can stop you here.
- You can choose your type of CBD. Every CBD extract, whether it’s full spectrum, broad spectrum, or isolate, has its pros and cons. Making CBD capsules at home gives you the real freedom of choice to find which one brings you the best results.
- Your budget will thank you. Using homemade hemp seed oil in addition to some CBD you already keep on the shelf can save you some bucks.
- Capsules are a traveler’s best friend. CBD oil is accurate, fast-acting and offers high bioavailability, but it is far from adequate. The solution? Squeeze it into a capsule.
As you can see, there are countless perks that come with making CBD capsules at home. Are you ready to roll up your sleeves and get down to work? Here is a simple recipe for your jelly wraps.
How to make your own CBD softgels at home
Some people have prejudices about making their own CBD supplements because they think it is difficult and expensive.
Fun fact? not like that.
Here’s how to make DIY capsules at home, using items in your kitchen cabinet.
Step 1: Buy CBD Oil (or make it at home)
If you already have a file A bottle of high quality CBD oilMaking CBD capsules at home is child’s play. You can skip the list and recipe below and go to step 2. Just make sure you’re using a lab-tested product that comes from organic farming.
You might also consider buying a CBD oil tincture if you want complete control of your potency – just in case you don’t have your own tincture. In some states, hemp flower is illegal, which is why we recommend ready-made CBD oil.
but for Making CBD oil from scratchYou’ll be glad to know that it’s fairly easy. First, you activate some cannabis flower in the oven, then you mix it with a carrier oil to increase its bioavailability. Then cool it down and strain it – and you’re good to go.
Components and Equipment:
- 5 oz high quality hemp flower CBD
- 1 cup of MCT oil or hemp seed oil
- hemp grinder
- little pot
- coated baking tray
- normal bowl
Note: This is a general recommendation for the number of flowers to use in this recipe. You can adjust the quantity to your strength and desired tolerance.
How to make CBD oil at home (step by step)
- Preheat oven to 225 F and place rack in the middle. Meanwhile, break the cannabis flower into small pieces, and spread them evenly on the baking tray.
- Bake the herb for 45 minutes, checking for 20 minutes to make sure none of it burns.
- Once the CBD flower is activated, remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the ground flower to cool completely.
- Pour a few inches of water into the saucepan and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Place a heatproof pot over the boiling water to make a double boiler. Preventing circulating water from boiling – this is a constant process.
- Mix the flower with the oil, and when the oil melts, be sure to incorporate all the plant matter. You may only need to stir once, and let it sit there once you’re done.
- Continue boiling the mixture for 1-3 hours. Patience pays off. The longer it stays on, the stronger the end product will be.
- Remove the pot from the heat and set it aside for 30 minutes to cool. If you use coconut oil, make sure it doesn’t drop below room temperature as it may harden.
- Pour the oil into a bowl through a cheesecloth to filter the flower. Once the temperature reaches 90 degrees Fahrenheit, you can start filling the capsules.
Step 2: Fill the capsule shell
Now, this is where the process gets fun.
We will fill the softgel shell with homemade CBD oil.
Here’s what you need to make it work.
Components and Equipment
- CBD oil
- Vegetarian or gelatin capsules (size 00) made for oils (make sure they can handle oils to prevent leakage)
- Capsule holder makes filling easy and mess-free
- A dropper (the bottle of CBD oil should already contain one) or a classic syringe to withdraw CBD oil from the container and transfer it to the capsules
- Dark glass jar with airtight lid
- Label tools (you can use something as simple as duct tape and a sharpie)
How to make DIY CBD capsules at home (step by step)
- Open the capsule shell and place it in the capsule holder.
- Grab the dropper or syringe and fill each capsule with CBD oil. If you are using store-bought CBD oil, keep an eye on how much it takes to fill each capsule so you know how strong each piece is.
- close the capsule by securing the top; Next, place your tablets in a jar or bottle with a lid and write “CBD capsules” on the label along with the production date and potency details (total CBD and milligrams per serving).
Pros and Cons of DIY CBD Capsules
How to store homemade CBD capsules
Bravo, I just made my first batch of DIY CBD capsules. Now is the time to focus on storage best practices.
As a botanical product, CBD oil has an expiration date, and it usually lasts between 12-24 months. However, the type of oil and the presence of other components can shorten its shelf life.
When you make CBD oil at home, it can be contaminated with moisture or residue from your extraction tools, so the shelf life may be less than one year. That is why we recommend storing homemade CBD capsules in the refrigerator.
Of course, you can take a few on the go, but keeping them sealed in a dark, airtight container at room temperature and away from light is a must if you want to enjoy your DIY product to the fullest.
We have separate Dedicated guide to CBD shelf life. It will help you learn about the best storage tips for hemp-derived products.
Final Verdict: Should You Make CBD Capsules at Home?
Making CBD capsules at home can be fun and will save your budget if you want a quality product without breaking the bank.
If you have CBD extract and a carrier oil, you just need to buy a box of soft jelly shells, gather some basic kitchen equipment—and you’re good to go.
We hope that the simple recipe from our guide will help you become a one-stop shopper to boost your health and have complete control over the ingredients in your CBD capsules.
Play around with trying different formulas with different carrier oils, and once you get the perfect match, stick to the recipe and enjoy your DIY CBD supplement.
But if all of this seems like too much of a hassle, you can always buy a bottle of CBD capsules online or at your local store. Due to its convenient size, fixed dosage, and portability, it may be the best form of consumption for your needs.